Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pictures of the Snow.... or lack there of....

Last weekend we finally decided to take a drive to the snow. There are only a couple of places to go in Arizona to find snow, the Flagstaff area and the White Mountains. We've been to Flagstaff a couple of times so I decided that we should try the White Mountain area.

We get up early on Saturday, get our "Snow Gear" together and pack a bag for a night. The town we headed to is called Show Low, northeast of Phoenix about 3 hours away from our house. Not bad right?

So we are on our way, Isabella can't stop telling us that she's excited about making a snow man. We laugh and say, when we get there Bella, you can make a snow man. We were were about an hour away and as we come around this mountain and we are able to see what's in the distance David looks over and says : "I see some snow on that mountain top waaaaaaaaaaaaay over there". At this moment I'm like..... oh no! We are not going to see ANY snow. But I keep hope up that we'll see more once we get closer. I mean when you travel to Flagstaff, you don't even see Pine Trees until your just about in the city limit so with that it still gave me hope. As we continued to drive we would see patches of snow along the side of the highway. Nothing to get excited about though. Then I see a sign that we are about 8 miles from our destination and that's when I came to the realization that our trip was going to be in vein. We enter the city limits of Show Low and we get from one end of town to the other in probably less than 10 minutes. I see our hotel along the side of the road and can see that they have a patch of snow on the grass where the sun doesn't hit. David and I decide that I was going to go to the hotel lobby and look for those fliers that hotels keep for tourists about the things to do while in town. I find the little cabinet with the fliers and look around for anything that stands out, but I see nothing but coupons for Pappa Johns and some other local restaurants in town. I go back to the receptionist and ask how late I can cancel our reservation without getting charged and she told me I had to do it by 6pm. The I went back to the car and told David what I found. With no snow and then nothing to do, I walked back in and cancelled our reservation for the room and we drove back home. How sad was that?!?! =)




Well, as we were heading back out of the town of Show Low I noticed a dirt road that went back into the Pines. It had one of those signs with images of a tent and hiking and so I figured it was a public road where people could go back there and camp. We decided to try to find a patch of snow that Isabella could make at least a snow ball with, we didn't want the trip to be a COMPLETE waste of gas and time. =) I was taking the dirt road pretty slow and right when I decided I wanted to speed up a little bit to make it so the bumps weren't as bad I looked up and a beautiful black horse standing 100 feet in front of us. I slowed down and came to a stop and then we noticed a whole heard off to the right. BEAUTIFUL wild horses! Here are a couple of pictures that David captured :






















The horse that was in the road just stared at us for a little bit before they all ran into the field. It was amazing and they were all so beautiful.
Once they were in the clear, we kept driving back to find our "Patch of Snow"






We drove for a couple minutes longer when we found a patch. Here is a picture of our patch :



For those of you who have been dealing with obscene amounts of snow you are probably laughing your B-U-T-T off right now at this picture.




People in upstate New York got 10 feet of snow in one day while here in our mountains couldn't get 2 inches to save our lives.


Well, it was fun to have Isabella make a few snow balls and then stand 1 foot in front of me, throw it at me and STILL miss me!!! LOL!! She definitely will not be a softball player! We hung out in the wood for a little bit always looking over our shoulder for some wild animal that could eat us. LOL!! We are not experienced out in the woods! We didn't stay out there too long because it was pretty darn cold and little David was still getting over his cold so we hopped back in the car and drove the 3 hours back home.


Here are some pictures from the past couple of days to share with everyone. Little David is learning how to crawl!!! HOW CUTE!!








I absolutely LOVE his smile!












He tries to cheat and puss himself with his foot instead of being just on his knees.






He is practicing his Pirate imitation for Halloween next year.

You know how I LOVE that black and white feature on my camera! ;-)

6 comments:

Dr. J said...

Ah, that "fake" crawling where they're using a foot and they sit and then go and then and go. Well, that turns out "real" crawling in one heck of a hurry. Etienne wanted my cup the other night so I placed it out of reach and he went straight for it!

I guess that's the end of having the ability to run into the other room and then back again. I guess now I just have to sit there until the kid grows up!

T-girl said...

ROTFLAMO @ the King's Mama! No, it get's better!

NOW at YOU... LOL, feel free to stop on by we got a couple inches last night, thank GOD though it is almost all gone! I am SO ready for spring, sun and happy weather! LOL

I think those pictures are cute, when I lived in Panama I came home on vacation once and in the middle of the summer made my father drive me to the top on Mt. Hood so I could play in a patch of the stuff- lets face it not a whole lot of the stuff at the equator! LOL

The kids are adorable- oh and the crab walk (someone called it that to me and I was like "OH IT IS!" LOL) use to crack me up. Just think in a few months it will be gone ( :( ) and then you will be like me: This kid will not stay out of ANYTHING! LMAO

louann said...

cute little boy! :)

louann said...

cute little boy! :)

Loukia said...

He's soooooooo cute!

Scottsdale Girl said...

Heh heh heh - U said 'WOOD"

p.s. uhm, Payson got snow on Friday WTF?