Thursday, September 06, 2007

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month

I just needed to share this story I found online by doing a 'Google' search on the term "Childhood Cancer Awareness Month"

Here is the link to the story : http://ezinearticles.com/?Childhood-Cancer-Awareness-Month-is-September&id=63120


When September rolls around, I look like any other haggled parent standing in the checkout with three kids. The shopping cart is filled with packs of pencils, note paper, crayons, markers and tissues.

"Why do we need to buy tissues for school?" my kindergartener asked last year.

I pictured a whole class of five-year-olds with runny noses and was tempted to reply, "So kids won't use their sleeves." But I chose the logical, "For when your nose is runny."

My neighbor claimed it would be a busy year when she found out I'd have one in kindergarten, one in first grade and one in middle school. But not busy enough, I thought, and again resisted the urge to let her know that I was wondering what my fifth-grader would be needing for school this year.

My fifth-grader, Daniel, never passed fourth grade. Or third, or even first. He didn't get a school supply list. Instead he got a kit from the hospital with syringes and bandages, all very sterile.

On Memorial Day Weekend, 1996, Daniel was three and diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. After eight months of treatments, surgeries, prayers and hope, this bald-headed kid, who acknowledged he was a “Brave Cookie,” was ready to be a cancer survivor. But a staph infection entered his weakened body and we had to kiss him good-bye.

September-- now meaning for me, not only back to school, but Childhood Cancer Awareness Month-- has rolled around again and as I stand in line with my kids, I know why the supply lists include tissues.

Just the other day while joining other parents and children in the “shopping for school supplies frenzy,” a woman noticed the gold ribbon pinned to my t-shirt. “What’s gold for?” she asked. “I know that pink is for breast cancer.”

“Children,” I said. “Gold because our children are golden to us.”

I half expected her to show shock or horror, being one of the thousands who refuses to believe that cancer is the number one illness among children. One of those who has no idea that each year one in every 330 kids will be diagnosed with cancer before age 19.

I was ready for her to walk away from me down the aisle. Instead she mouthed the words, “Did a child of yours…?”

“Yes,” I said. “A son who would be ten now. He didn’t survive.”

Her eyes showed tears, causing mine to fill. Then this woman—a stranger--touched my arm. “I am so sorry.” She smiled at my other three children. “They are beautiful. I’m sure your son was, too.”

If you see a mother wearing a gold ribbon on her shirt--the symbol of childhood cancer awareness---please ask her about the ribbon. The opportunity to talk will help with her healing and give you new wisdom. Be aware that she may cry. Feel free to hand her a tissue. Although she has done it before, she probably shouldn't be using her sleeve.

(Written in 2002)

Alice J. Wisler lives and writes in Durham, NC. She is the author of "Down the Cereal Aisle" and "Slices of Sunlight," both cookbooks of memories. Her free grief e-zine, Tributes, goes out to over 800 subscribers each month. Visit her web site: http://www.geocities.com/griefhope/index.html

Learn more how you can help childhood cancer research: Visit The National Childhood Cancer Foundation (NCCF) http://www.nccf.org

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Alice_Wisler

4 comments:

Dr. J said...

Okay, hurry up and post one with Charrito's hair or something about what Bella's doing because now I need a tissue.

T-girl said...

ME TOO KINGS MAMA!!!! I actually gasped "Oh God" when I read he made it through treatment and something so "silly" as a damn staph infection... can you IMAGINE that poor family, finally thinking they are through it, they are done, the relief then to have the carpet litterally torn out like that. I think that would more devistating then ANYTHING, to think you are done and to still lose him. OK, I am all kinds of tears streaming here!

All that being said... I want to go to Ensenada. We were going to go last year and I can't remember what happened, I think something about Baby J's passport! Anyways... I am HUGELY jealous!

NB Warrior said...

you two are too funny! Don't cry! Just spread the word, that's all I ask. =)

Ensenada was great, we had a blast. It was actually really warm, and I was expecting it to be colder since we were right on the water so I brought all kinds of warm clothes for the kids... needless to say they were too warm! hehehe I have uploaded more pictures onto photobucket, and I'll have to send you guys the link.

Yeah, the passport thing sucks because you can't fly over there now. We didn't have to get ones yet because we were just driving across and that's not required until next year. But I'd rather fly because sitting in the line to cross the boarder in unbareable heat with a car that over heats while sitting still with the A/C on, was no fun! I think it took us over an hour to cross the boarder. ugh! =(

Hope you ladies have a good week! =)

The Preister's said...

ahh Michelle, you are so great at spreding the word.

I remember coming to you with questions and negativity in the begining, and I remember how strong you were for me. I have never admited my fears to anyone, not even my husband...I can't make myself repeat those things out loud. Do you remember what I am takling about?

I can't wait to shop for school supplies with my NB survivor, God has showered blessings upon me.